Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Java binding requirements
From: Yoshiki SATO (yoshiki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-24 22:58:34

Thanks for you comments.

>> If so, my question is if I need NOT to install JDK to the all nodes. In other words is it possible to have a machine used as a worker without JDK installed?
>>

> You do not need JDK installed on worker nodes - it only has to be on the node where you compile your code. However, we launch a JVM for each process, so you must at least have the JVM installed on each worker. This is typically included in a base Linux installation (just look for the "java" command, usually in /usr/bin), so you usually don't have to do anything special (as opposed to installing the JDK, which doesn't usually come in the base install)

Ok, but I meant to say about JVM, because my requirement is to leverage such nodes as have no JVM supported, for example, Gentoo Linux/SPARC64 as workers. I thought that the Java binding implementation wraps Open MPI only on the rank zero side. This is because the FAQ says:

> 8. Do the Java bindings impact performance of my non-Java application?
> The Java bindings in Open MPI are completely transparent to all other Open MPI users and have zero performance impact on the rest of the code/bindings.

But I realize that this perhaps mentions about the Open MPI applications that use a Java-enabled Open MPI build. Meantime, the next FAQ is specifying the possibility of performance penalties for Java applications that use Open MPI.

Regards,
--yoshiki