Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Communication Round-trip time
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-09 05:58:02

In general, what you said is "right"... for some definition of "right". :-)

Usually, benchmarking programs start a timer, do the round trip sends N times, stop the timer, and then divide the total time by N (to get a smoother definition of "average").

But keep in mind that there are many, many factors involved here. For example, it is also common to do "warmup" round trip communications -- do, say, 100 round-trip communications before you start the timer. This allows MPI to establish connections and do any other startup processing that isn't a factor during steady-state communications.

More specifically, the definitions of "right" and "wrong" very much depend on what is in your professor's head. Every benchmark is different; there are many similar-but-slightly-different benchmark definitions out there. You'll need to figure out exactly what he is looking for; sorry.