Subject: Re: [OMPI users] problems with mpiJava in openmpi-1.9a1r27362
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-01 18:48:57

On Sep 27, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

> I would suggest starting at r22500 and trying every 1000 revisions initially. Remember that not every single revision will build and work correctly - this is the developer's trunk and it is occasionally broken for a short while - but shifting a little bit when that happens should solve the problem.

You might want to use a binary-search kind of method. You know the HEAD is broken. Go back a long ways and find a version that works. When you find a version that works, split the difference in r numbers between that good version and the HEAD. If that's good, split the difference towards the HEAD again. If it isn't good, split the difference towards the original r number.

And so on. This should hypothetically allow you to find the commit that broke the functionality within log(n) steps.