Subject: Re: [OMPI users] sndlib problem by mpicc compiler
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-30 07:25:44

On 7/30/2012 6:11 AM, Pawe³ Jaromin wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for fast answer, but the problem looks a little different.
>
> Of course, I use this code only for master node (rank 0), because only
> this node has an access to file.
>
> As You can see i use "if" clause to check sndFile for NULL:
>
> if (sndFile == NULL)
>
> and it returns not NULL value, so the code can run forward.
> I have found the problem during check array:
>

> long numFrames = sf_readf_float(sndFile, snd_buffor, sfinfo.frames);
>
> // Check correct number of samples loaded
> if (numFrames != sfinfo.frames) {
> fprintf(stderr, "Did not read enough frames for source\n");
> sf_close(sndFile);
> free(snd_buffor);
> MPI_Finalize();
> return 1;
> }
>
> So, after that I went to debuger to check variables (I use Eclipse PTP
> and sdm enviroment), then after inicjalization variable "sndFile" has
> "no value" not "NULL" . Unfortunatelly sndFile has still the same
> value to the end of program :(.
What do you mean by sndFile has "no value"? There isn't a special "no
value" value to a variable unless you are debugging a code that somehow
had some variable optimized out at the particular line you are
interested in.
> Declarations:
> FILE *outfile = NULL ;
> SF_INFO sfinfo ;
> SNDFILE *sndFile= NULL;
>
> Very interesting is , that "sfinfo" from the same library works perfect.
> At the end of this story, I modified the program without MPI , then
> compiled it by gcc (not mpicc) and it works fine (in debuger sndFile
> has proper value).
So it seems you believe mpicc is doing something wrong when all mpicc is
is a wrapper to a compiler. Maybe doing a "mpicc --showme" will give
you an idea what compiler and options mpicc is passing to the compiler.
This should give you an idea the difference between your gcc and mpicc
compilation. I would suspect either mpicc is using a compiler
significantly different than gcc or that mpicc might be passing some
optimization parameter that is messing the code execution (just a guess).

> I hope, now is clear.
Not really.

--td