Subject: [OMPI users] Efficient polling for both incoming messages and request completion
From: Geoffrey Irving (irving_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-22 18:01:09

Hello,

Is it possible to efficiently poll for both incoming messages and
request completion using only one thread? As far as I know, busy
waiting with alternate MPI_Iprobe and MPI_Testsome calls is the only
way to do this. Is that approach dangerous to do performance-wise?

Background: my application is memory constrained, so when requests
complete I may suddenly be able to schedule new computation. At the
same time, I need to be responding to a variety of asynchronous
messages from unknown processors with unknown message sizes, which as
far as I know I can't turn into a request to poll on.

Thanks,
Geoffrey