Subject: [OMPI users] MPI and gprof
From: TAY wee-beng (zonexo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-05 10:38:39

Hi,

I am trying to use gprof with my mpi code. I googled and saw this msg:

Open-MPI and gprof:

/Yes you can profile MPI applications by compiling with -pg. However, by
/

/default each process will produce an output file called "gmon.out",
which is a problem if all processes are writing to the same global file
system (i.e. all processes will try to write to the same file).
/

/There is an undocumented feature of gprof that allows you to specify the
filename for profiling output via the environment variable
GMON_OUT_PREFIX. For example, one can set this variable in the .bashrc
file for every node to insure unique profile filenames, i.e.:
/

/export GMON_OUT_PREFIX='gmon.out-'`/bin/uname -n`
/

/The filename will appear as GMON_OUT_PREFIX.pid, where pid is the
process id on a given node (so this will work when multiple nodes are
contained in a single host). /

However, this msg was written in 2009. I wonder if it is still the same
method. Also, in that case, if i run on 10 cpus, I will have 10 such
outputs. Is it possible to get an average result instead of individual
results?

I run the mpi code but without using the above instructions and got just
1 file - gmon.out. Does it mean that this result is for the current node?

Thank you!

--
Yours sincerely,
TAY wee-beng