Subject: Re: [OMPI users] possible bug exercised by mpi4py
From: Dave Goodell (goodell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-24 23:48:55

On May 24, 2012, at 10:34 PM CDT, George Bosilca wrote:

> On May 24, 2012, at 23:18, Dave Goodell <goodell_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> So I take back my prior "right". Upon further inspection of the text and the MPICH2 code I believe it to be true that the number of the elements in the recvcounts array must be equal to the size of the LOCAL group.
>
> This is quite illogical, but it will not be the first time the standard is lacking some. So, if I understand you correctly, in the case of an intercommunicator a process doesn't know how much data it has to reduce, at least not until it receives the array of recvcounts from the remote group. Weird!

No, it knows because of the restriction that $sum_i^n{recvcounts[i]}$ yields the same sum in each group.

The way it's implemented in MPICH2, and the way that makes this make a lot more sense to me, is that you first do intercommunicator reductions to temporary buffers on rank 0 in each group. Then rank 0 scatters within the local group. The way I had been thinking about it was to do a local reduction followed by an intercomm scatter, but that isn't what the standard is saying, AFAICS.

-Dave