Subject: [OMPI users] OpenMPI with SGE: "-np N" for mpirun needed?
From: Jiri Polach (jiri.polach_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-09 16:12:38

Dear all,

is "-np N" parameter needed for mpirun when running jobs under SGE
environment? All examples in

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#run-n1ge-or-sge

show that "-np N" is used, but in my opinion it should be redundant:
mpirun should determine all parameters from SGE environment anyway. If
there is "no need to specify what nodes to run on" (as stated in FAQ),
it should not be necessary to specify the number of processors either.

I ran some tests and it seems that mpirun correctly gets number of
processors from SGE, but I would like to have some more solid confirmation.

Best regards,

Jiri Polach