Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI doesn't recognize multiple cores available on multicore machines
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-25 12:29:32

I just re-read the thread.

I think there's a little confusion between the terms "processor" and "MPI process" here.

You said "As a pre-processing step, each processor must figure out which other processors it must communicate with by virtue of sharing neighboring grid points."

Did you mean "MPI process" instead of "processor"?

Secondly, if you're just running on a single machine with no scheduler and no hostile, you should be able to:

  mpirun -np <whatever_you_want> your_program_name

When you get the "There are not enough slots available in the system..." message, that usually means that *something* is telling Open MPI a maximum number of processes that can be run, and your -np value is greater than that. This is *usually* a scheduler, but can also be a hostile and/or an environment variable or file-based MCA parameter.