Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Absolute/relative paths of orted
From: McGehee, Robert (Robert.McGehee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-22 15:53:28

Thanks for the reply. You solved my problem!

You are correct about the configure command containing "--enable-orterun-prefix-by-default". I used the Gentoo Portage build script to compile which appended that option by default.

Here's the configure call Gentoo used:
./configure --prefix=/data/gentoo/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/data/gentoo/usr/share/man --infodir=/data/gentoo/usr/share/info --datadir=/data/gentoo/usr/share --sysconfdir=/data/gentoo/etc --localstatedir=/data/gentoo/var/lib --libdir=/data/gentoo/usr/lib --disable-dependency-tracking --sysconfdir=/data/gentoo/etc/openmpi --enable-pretty-print-stacktrace --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default --with-hwloc=/data/gentoo/usr --enable-mpi-thread-multiple --enable-opal-multi-threads --enable-contrib-no-build=vt --enable-mpi-cxx --disable-io-romio --enable-heterogeneous --enable-ipv6 --without-udapl --without-openib --without-knem --without-mx --without-psm --disable-openib-control-hdr-padding --disable-openib-connectx-xrc --disable-openib-rdmacm --disable-openib-dynamic-sl --disable-btl-openib-failover --without-sctp --without-tm --without-slurm --enable-shared --enable-static

To your other question, neither OpenMPI installation is on our NFS filesystem (and thus not visible from the other computer).

Both servers get the correct location of mpirun (after creating an orted symlink on the Mac):

[Mac or Linux]~> mpirun -n 2 -H linuxserver,macserver which mpirun
/data/gentoo/usr/bin/mpirun
/opt/local/lib/openmpi/bin/mpirun

Anyway, I edited the build script to remove the configure option --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default and the linuxserver was able to communicate with the macserver without any problems. Please let me know if you think there will be any undesirable side effect from this change (or any of the other arguments), as I'm not sure why the Gentoo developers added this argument in the first place.

Thanks, Robert