Subject: [OMPI users] Absolute/relative paths of orted
From: McGehee, Robert (Robert.McGehee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-22 14:11:17

Hello,
I've installed openmpi 1.5.5 on both my Mac and Linux servers using the ssh/rsh process manager. I can successfully run a program across both servers from my Mac, but not from my Linux server as the Linux server seems to be trying to run orted using an absolute path rather than a relative one. Quick question is: how can I get my Linux server to use a relative path, rather than absolute path, for orted?

First, let's verify that orted can be found in each computer's path in a remote login:
[macserver]~> ssh linuxserver which orted
/opt/local/lib/openmpi/bin/orted
[linuxserver]~> ssh macserver which orted
/data/gentoo/usr/bin/orted

Initiating mpirun from the Mac works fine:
[macserver]~> mpirun -n 2 -H macserver,linuxserver hostname
macserver
linuxserver

But not from Linux:
[linuxserver]~> mpirun -n 2 -H macserver,linuxserver hostname
bash: /data/gentoo/usr/bin/orted: No such file or directory
<snip>

Also, the launch-agent argument doesn't help any as the launch-agent is still expected in the /data/... path:
[linuxserver]~> mpirun -launch-agent XYZ -n 2 -H macserver,linuxserver hostname
bash: /data/gentoo/usr/bin/XYZ: No such file or directory
<snip>

If I create a /data/gentoo/usr/bin directory on the Mac with an orted symlink to the correct location, mpi will run correctly when started from Linux. However, (aside from being inelegant) I intend to use openmpi on a heterogeneous cluster in which orted may be installed in multiple non-standard locations. I will neither have root access to all computers nor do I want to manage a network of symlinks on every computer in the cluster.

So, my simple question is, how can I get my Linux server to look for orted in the Mac's PATH, rather than it specifying an absolute path that isn't there?

Thanks, Robert