Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Regarding installation procedure for installing openmpi for 1master and 16 slaves
From: Jeffrey Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-21 09:23:39

On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:01 AM, seshendra seshu wrote:

> Am new to MPI i was trying to install OpenMPI on 1 master and 16 slaves i could not find the correct correct installation steps and configurations needed for before installing open MPI , so can any help me in installation procedure.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Open MPI is typically installed from source as follows:

  ./configure --prefix=/whatever/you/want ...
  make -j 4 all
  sudo make install
  # ^^ if elevated privs are needed to install

Also, many distros have binary packages of Open MPI available. Check your favorite distro binary repository.

There's two typical ways to install OMPI on a cluster:

- install it in the same filesystem location on each node: i.e., install from source or from binary on each of your 16+1 nodes

- install it on the master node and export that installation via NFS to the 16 slaves

The key in both situations is to ensure that Open MPI shows up in the same filesystem location on the master and all 16 nodes. E.g., if you install to /opt/openmpi-1.5.5 on the master, then make sure it shows up on /opt/openmpi-1.5.5 on the slaves, too.

Open MPI doesn't actually require this, but it tremendously simplifies cluster setup / maintenance if you follow that convention.