Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Array version of MPI_Iprobe?
From: Jeffrey Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-21 09:19:04

The new MPI-3 function MPI_Improbe might be helpful here, but it may still cost you extra in temporary buffer space (allocated internally in MPI), depending on the size of the incoming message.

Meaning: OMPI (and other MPI's) will still allocate *something* for each matched incoming message, even if you don't receive it right away. That *something* may be the entire message (if it's short), or the first part of the message (if it's long).

We've implemented MPI_Improbe (and friends) on the OMPI SVN trunk; it won't be available in a general release until the OMPI 1.7 series. But you might want to give it a whirl anyway...?