Subject: Re: [OMPI users] [EXTERNAL] Possible to build ompi-1.4.3 or 1.4.5 without a C++ compiler?
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 10:18:28

On 3/20/12 10:06 AM, "Gunter, David O" <dog_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>I need to build ompi-1.4.3 (or the newer 1.4.5) with an older Intel 10.0
>compiler, but on a newer system in which the default g++ headers are
>incompatible with Intel. Thus the C and Fortran compilers function
>normally but the Intel C++ compiler fails to build even a simple "hello
>world" code.
>
>Is there a way to build OMPI without a C++ compiler? I tried using the
>--disable-mpi-cxx and --disable-mpi-cxx-seek flags but these are just for
>the resulting bindings. The configure step still continues to search for
>a working C++ compiler.
>
>Yes, I know I can upgrade the Intel compiler but we don't have that as an
>option in this case.

Unfortunately, you're a bit out of luck. Open MPI 1.4.x requires C++ even
if you're not building the C++ bindings. This is not true of 1.5.x and
later.

If you don't need the C++ bindings, I would build Open MPI with GNU C and
C++ and Intel Fortran. After building, edit
<PREFIX>/share/openmpi/mpicc-wrapper-data.txt to change the compiler=gcc
line to compiler=<intel C compiler>. There's not going to be much
performance difference between the two compilers for Open MPI itself. GNU
C and Intel C are link compatible, so that should work out for you and the
users will never be the wiser.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett