Subject: Re: [OMPI users] ssh between nodes
From: Lloyd Brown (lloyd_brown_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-29 16:16:43

It really depends. You certainly CAN have mpirun/mpiexec use ssh to
launch the remote processes. If you're using Torque, though, I strongly
recommend using the hooks in OpenMPI, into the Torque TM-API (see
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-rte-tm). That will
use the pbs_mom's themselves to launch all the processes, which has
several advantages.

Using the TM-API for job launch means that remote processes will be
children of the Torque pbs_mom process, not the sshd process, which
means that Torque will be able to do a better job at killing rogue
processes, reporting resources utilized, etc.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab
Brigham Young University