Subject: [OMPI users] openMPI installation on front-end and worker nodes
From: Salvatore Podda (salvatore.podda_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-22 08:21:42

Hi all,

        we have a computational infrastructure composed from front end and worker nodes
which differ slightly differ in the architectures on board (I mean same processor different socket).
OFED and openMPI have been compiled and built on both systems at the same version level.
As users have access to the system only through front-end nodes (they compile on front-end
and submit job to worker nodes) the eventual difference in the OFED/openMPI installation
depending from the architecture can jeopardize the operation and the performance of the
user application?

More generally, in the case of a front-end nodes with a processors definitively different from
worker nodes (same firm i.e.Intel) can openMPI applications compiled on one run correctly
on the others?

Many thanks

Salvatore