Subject: Re: [OMPI users] [Open MPI Announce] Open MPI v1.4.5 released
From: Prentice Bisbal (prentice_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-16 09:42:36

On 02/15/2012 07:44 AM, Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 15.02.2012 um 03:48 schrieb alexalex43210:
>
>> But I am a novice for the parallel computation, I often use Fortran to compile my program, now I want to use the Parallel, can you give me some help how to begin?
>> PS: I learned about OPEN MPI is the choice for my question solution. am I right?
> This depends on your application and how easy it can be adopted to split the problem into smaller parts. It could also be the case, that you want to stay on one node only to use additional cores and could parallelize it better by using OpenMP, where all threads operate on the same memory area on a single node.
>
> http://openmp.org/wp/
>
> It's built into many compilers by default nowadays.
>
> In addition to the online courses Jeff mentioned there are several books available like Parallel Programming with MPI by Peter Pacheco (although it covers only MPI-1 due to its age http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~peter/ppmpi/), Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP by Michael Quinn.

Personally, I didn't like Peter Pacheco's book all that much, so I'd
like to add a couple more books to this list of recommendations:

Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message-Passing
Interface, 2nd Edition
William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, and Anthony Skjellum
Copyright 1997, MIT Press
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi/

Using MPI-2: Advanced Features of the Message-Passing Interface
William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, Rajeev Thakur
Copyright 1997, MIT Press
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi2/index.html

The second book covers the more advanced features of MPI-2. As a n00b
just learning MPI, you probably don't need to learn that stuff until
you've mastered the material in the first book I listed, or Pacheco's
book.

--
Prentice