Open MPI logo

Open MPI User's Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Open MPI User's mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI users] compilation error with pgcc Unknown switch
From: Gustavo Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-15 10:42:34


Hi Abhinav

Did you add to your compiler flags -Bstatic [or perhaps -static],
or any optimization flags that may include -Bstatic/-static?
Check also the compiler configuration, and any possible user customization
[~/.mypggcc and friends] to see if -Bstatic is there, maybe inadvertently, and is set by default.
That is all I can think of.
Maybe it will require Jeff and the Open MPI developers to sort
the problem out.

Gus Correa
 
On Feb 15, 2012, at 12:19 AM, Abhinav Sarje wrote:

> Hi Gus, I had tried with the -noswitcherror flags, which removed the
> 'unknown-switch' error, but then I am still getting the "attempted
> static link of dynamic object" error as I reported earlier.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Gustavo Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Hi Abhinav
>>
>> Setting CC='pgcc --noswitcherror', FC='pgfortran --noswitcherror', etc, may prevent the
>> error message [but not sure it will prevent any actual and unreported error].
>> Check details with 'man pgfortran'.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>> Gus Corea
>>
>> .
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:03 AM, Abhinav Sarje wrote:
>>
>>> I tried with 1.5.4 and same compilers, and got the exact same error.
>>> I also tried PGI version 11.10.0, and got the same thing.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
>>> <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>> Can you try building 1.5.4 with the same compilers?
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my phone. No type good.
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 7, 2012, at 3:14 PM, "Abhinav Sarje" <asarje_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I am trying to build open-mpi 1.4.4 (latest stable from open-mpi.org)
>>>>> using PGI compilers on a cray platform. PGI compilers' version is
>>>>> 11.9.0. I get the following error while building:
>>>>> -------------------------------------
>>>>> Making all in tools/wrappers
>>>>> make[2]: Entering directory `{my_installation_directory}/opal/tools/wrappers'
>>>>> source='opal_wrapper.c' object='opal_wrapper.o' libtool=no \
>>>>> DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/sh ../../../config/depcomp \
>>>>> cc "-DEXEEXT=\"\"" -I. -I../../../opal/include
>>>>> -I../../../orte/include -I../../../ompi/include
>>>>> -I../../../opal/mca/paffinity/linux/plpa/src/libplpa -I../../..
>>>>> -D_REENTRANT -O -DNDEBUG -fPIC -c -o opal_wrapper.o opal_wrapper.c
>>>>> /bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link cc -O -DNDEBUG -fPIC
>>>>> -export-dynamic -o opal_wrapper opal_wrapper.o
>>>>> ../../../opal/libopen-pal.la -lnsl -lutil
>>>>> libtool: link: cc -O -DNDEBUG -fPIC -o .libs/opal_wrapper
>>>>> opal_wrapper.o --export-dynamic ../../../opal/.libs/libopen-pal.so
>>>>> -ldl -lnsl -lutil -rpath {my_installation_directory}/lib
>>>>> pgcc-Error-Unknown switch: --export-dynamic
>>>>> make[2]: *** [opal_wrapper] Error 1
>>>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `{my_installation_directory}/opal/tools/wrappers'
>>>>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `{my_installation_directory}/opal'
>>>>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>>> -------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> I see that the libtool packaged with open-mpi is 2.2.6b
>>>>> When I try to compile this particular part with libtool versions 2.2.6
>>>>> or 2.4, I get the following error:
>>>>> -------------------------------------
>>>>> $ libtool --tag=CC --mode=link cc -O -DNDEBUG -fPIC
>>>>> -export-dynamic -o opal_wrapper opal_wrapper.o
>>>>> ../../../opal/libopen-pal.la -lnsl -lutil
>>>>> libtool: link: cc -O -DNDEBUG -fPIC -o .libs/opal_wrapper
>>>>> opal_wrapper.o -Wl,--export-dynamic
>>>>> ../../../opal/.libs/libopen-pal.so -ldl -lnsl -lutil -Wl,-rpath
>>>>> -Wl,{my_installation_directory}/lib
>>>>> /usr/bin/ld: attempted static link of dynamic object
>>>>> `../../../opal/.libs/libopen-pal.so'
>>>>> -------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> Looking at earlier posts, apparently there was a bug with libtool a
>>>>> couple of years ago because of which the above error occurred. This
>>>>> was fixed in newer releases, but I am getting similar errors.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone have any information on how to fix this, or if I am doing
>>>>> something wrong here?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> users mailing list
>>>>> users_at_[hidden]
>>>>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> users mailing list
>>>> users_at_[hidden]
>>>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> users mailing list
>>> users_at_[hidden]
>>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> users mailing list
>> users_at_[hidden]
>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users