Subject: Re: [OMPI users] O-MPI Support for heterogeneous (Windows / Linux) clusters
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-04 17:57:05

On Feb 3, 2012, at 8:54 AM, James Torossian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed about 18 months ago in the user archives that the question of heterogeneous support for clusters of Windows / Linux machines was raised, and at that time this functionality was not supported.
>
> Is this still the case? Are there any near term plans in this direction?

I don't think anyone plans to make that work, especially since there is a very simple workaround available. Just install one of the free ssh server packages for Windows and you can use the rsh/ssh launcher. Follow the instructions on the OMPI FAQ for hetero operations and all should work fine.

> Also … still related ….
>
> Has it been possible to build O-MPI for Windows (with perhaps reduced capabilities) to use ssh under Cygwin rather than WMI? We are only after a small subset of MPI functionality.

Afraid I don't work that area…perhaps Shiqing could answer it?