Subject: Re: [OMPI users] core binding failure on Interlagos (and possibly Magny-Cours)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-31 08:24:25

On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Dave Love wrote:

> Core binding is broken on Interlagos with open-mpi 1.5.4. I guess it
> also bites on Magny-Cours, but all our systems are currently busy and I
> can't check.
> It does work, at least basically, in 1.5.5rc1, but the release notes for
> that don't give any indication. Perhaps someone could mention
> Interlagos in the notes, and any other hardware that might be affected
> (presumably Magny-Cours and some Power if it's confusion introduced by
> the extra NUMA level).

I think there was some weirdness in how AMD chips were represented to the Linux kernel (they present differently than Intel chips). I believe the issues have been worked out by hwloc. OMPI 1.5.4 uses an older version of hwloc (v1.2); 1.5.5rc1 was synced to a newer version of hwloc.

Note: a) there's one more hwloc sync that's going to happen before 1.5.5 is released, and b) per, perhaps there's still some weirdness going on in OMPI 1.5.x's affinity code.

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: