Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Running osu benchmark test suite with open-mpi
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-28 08:08:30

Yes, you should be able to run the OSU tests with Open MPI -- they are not specific to any MPI implementation.

That being said, the MPI-2 one-sided functionality (which is being tested by the osu_get* and osu_put* tests) is notoriously difficult to get right. I don't know offhand if their tests are correct or not (or whether OMPI has bugs in this area).

FWIW, there are very very few real-world MPI applications that use the MPI-2 one-sided functionality. So I wouldn't worry about these tests.

MPI-3 just revamped the one-sided support, and fixed many problems and subtleties in the MPI-2 one-sided specifications. I suspect that when MPI implementations have MPI-3 implementations, hopefully the one-sided applications and implementations will be a bit more robust. See http://blogs.cisco.com/performance/recently-voted-into-mpi-3/.

On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:26 AM, Venkateswara Rao Dokku wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to run the osu bench-mark suite with the open-mpi on our customized OFED, and i was able to run 10 out of the 14 tests in the osu bench-mark suite. The tests are
>
> 1. osu_acc_latency
> 2. osu_alltoall
> 3. osu_bcast
> 4.osu_bibw
> 5.osu_bw
> 6.osu_get_latency
> 7.osu_latency
> 8.osu_mbw_mr
> 9.osu_multi_lat
> 10.osu_put_latency
>
> While trying to run the remaining 4 tests viz. osu_get_bw,osu_latency_mt,osu_put_bi_bw,osu_put_bw the test is starting fine and the test is hanging there in the middle at message size 524288... can we run those osu tests with open mpi or do we need to use mvapich2 inorder to run these tests.
>
> Thanks for the reply...
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> D.Venkateswara Rao,