Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_Allgather problem
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-27 07:52:18

On Jan 27, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Brett Tully wrote:

> Looking at the change log for 1.5.1 I see:
> - Use memmove (instead of memcpy) when necessary (e.g., source and destination overlap).

Checking the logs, it looks like that fix was in 1.4.3, too.

Do you know if your application has sends/receives where the source and destination overlap?

Just curious -- have you run your application thought a memory checking debugger, like valgrind? Sometimes application memory corruption can show up in very strange (and non-deterministic) ways.

> It seems as though this might be a likely candidate for a change that might fix my problems if I am indeed using 1.5.3 following the installation of OpenFOAM?
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Brett Tully wrote:
> Interesting. In the same set of updates, I installed OpenFOAM from their Ubuntu deb package and it claims to ship with openmpi. I just downloaded their Third-party source tar and unzipped it to see what version of openmpi they are using, and it is 1.5.3. However, when I do man openmpi, or ompi_info, I get the same version as before (1.4.3). How do I determine for sure what is being included when I compile something using mpicc?

You need to be sure that the mpicc (etc.) you are using to compile your app exactly matches the mpirun. mpicc --showme:version will show you the version that it is using. In general, you should be able to "which mpicc;which mpirun;which ompi_info" to see where your executables are coming from. This will likely give you a good clue to ensure that a) everything is matching (you want to ensure that your LD_LIBRARY_PATH also matches, or that your desired libmpi.so is in a system default library path), and b) what version they are.

For corporate legal information go to: