Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Are the Messages delivered in order in the MPI?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-25 05:59:04

The tag also factors in here. What I said in the blog entry was:

"The MPI specification doesn’t define which message arrives first. It defines which message is matched first at the receiver: the first one (which happens to be the long one). Specifically, between a pair of peers, MPI defines that messages sent on the same communicator and tag will be matched at the receiver in the same relative order."

On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:20 AM, George Bosilca wrote:

> Mateus,
>
> MPI guarantee message ordering per communicator per peer. In other words any message going from peer A to peer B in the same communicator will be __matched__ on the receiver in the exact same order as they were sent (this remains true even for multi-threaded libraries). MPI does not mandate any other type of ordering, such as between communicators or between different pairs of processes.
>
> Now, what I previously said is only true for the matching logic. Completion of message reception is a totally different thing.
>
> George.
>

> On Jan 24, 2012, at 23:53, Mateus Augusto <teleomintos_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> After a read: http://blogs.cisco.com/performance/more_traffic/
>> I understood that if a large message is sent and then a short message is sent, then the short message can reach before. But what if the messages have the same size, and are small enough so that no fragmentation occurs, the ordering in delivery will be guaranteed?

For corporate legal information go to: