Subject: Re: [OMPI users] localhost only
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-17 06:18:31

Is there a way to set up an interface analogous to Unix's loopback? I
suspect setting "-mca btl self,sm" wouldn't help since this is probably
happening while the processes are bootstrapping.

--td

On 1/16/2012 7:26 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:
> The problem is that OMPI is looking for a tcp port for your computer. With no network enabled, you don't have one, and so mpirun aborts. I don't know of any way around this at the moment.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jan 16, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Gustavo Correa<gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried to specify the hosts with something like this?
>>
>> mpirun -np 2 -host localhost ./my_program
>>
>> See 'man mpirun' for more details.
>>
>> I hope it helps,
>> Gus Correa
>>
>> On Jan 16, 2012, at 6:34 PM, MM wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> when my wireless adapter is down on my laptop, only localhost is configured.
>>> In this case, when I mpirun 2 binaries on my laptop, mpirun fails with this error:
>>>

>>> It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process i
>>> likely to abort. There are many reasons that a parallel process can
>>> fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
>>> environment problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure;
>>> here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
>>> Open MPI developer):
>>>
>>> orte_rml_base_select failed
>>> --> Returned value Error (-1) instead of ORTE_SUCCESS
>>>

>>> when I turn on the wireless adapter back on, the mpirun works fine
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make mpirun realize all my binaries run on the same box, and therefore don't need any other interface but localhost?
>>>
>>> PS: this is ipconfig when the wireless adapter is off

>>> Windows IP Configuration
>>>
>>> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
>>> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>>> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>>> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>>
>>> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>>>
>>> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
>>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
>>> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
>>>
>>> rds,
>>>
>>> MM

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture