Subject: Re: [OMPI users] ompi + bash + GE + modules
From: Dave Love (d.love_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-12 08:40:29

Surely this should be on the gridengine list -- and it's in recent
archives -- but there's some ob-openmpi below. Can Notre Dame not get
the support they've paid Univa for?

Reuti <reuti_at_[hidden]> writes:

> SGE 6.2u5 can't handle multi line environment variables or functions,
> it was fixed in 6.2u6 which isn't free.

[It's not listed for 6.2u6.] For what it's worth, my fix for Sun's fix
is https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE/changeset/3556/sge.

> Do you use -V while submitting the job? Just ignore the error or look
> into Son of Gridengine which fixed it too.

Of course
you can always avoid the issue by not using `export -f', which isn't in
the modules version we have. I default -V in sge_request and load
the open-mpi module in the job submission session. I don't
fin whatever problems it causes, and it works for binaries like
  qsub -b y ... mpirun ...
However, the folkloristic examples here typically load the module stuff
in the job script.

> If you can avoid -V, then it could be defined in any of the .profile
> or alike if you use -l as suggested. You could even define a
> started_method in SGE to define it for all users by default and avoid
> to use -V:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> module() { ...command...here... }
> export -f module
> exec "${@}"

That won't work for example if someone is tasteless enough to submit csh.