Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Status of SLURM integration
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-11 08:04:14

The latest -- 1.5.5rc2 (just released last night) -- has direct "srun my_mpi_application" integration. It's not in a final release yet, but as you can probably guess by the version number, it'll be in the final version of 1.5.5.

We have 1-2 bugs remaining in 1.5.5 that are actively being worked. Once those are fixed (hopefully, in the Very Near Future), 1.5.5 will be released.

On Jan 10, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Andrew Senin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you please describe the current status of SLURM integration? I
> had a feeling srun supports direct launch of OpenMpi applications
> (without mpirun) compiled with the 1.5 branch. At least one of my
> colleagu succeeded on that.
>
> But when I installed SLURM and the head revision of OpenMPI 1.5 branch
> I did not manage to run it without settings the SLURM_STEP_RESV_PORTS
> environment variable. I receive the following:
>
> orte_grpcomm_modex failed
> --> Returned "A message is attempting to be sent to a process whose
> contact information is unknown" (-117) instead of "Success" (0)
> [mir9:25477] *** An error occurred in MPI_Init
> [mir9:25477] *** on a NULL communicator
> [mir9:25477] *** Unknown error
> [mir9:25477] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL: your MPI job will now abort
>
> So I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is support of SLURM in the head revision of 1.5 branch stable
> enough to use it in the lab?
> 2. Does direct launch of mpi applications require setting the
> SLURM_STEP_RESV_PORTS environment variable?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew Senin.

For corporate legal information go to: