Subject: [OMPI users] MPI-2 in MX (was: MPI 2 support in sm btl)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-04 08:04:14

I'm afraid I don't know offhand -- but I do have a dim recollection that MX requires all processes to be available at INIT time (i.e., processes that join later, e.g., via MPI-2 dynamics, will not communicate via MX). That may or may not be true -- don't hold me to that.

Can someone who knows MX better than me comment about this?

On Dec 28, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Sabela Ramos Garea wrote:

> Thanks for your answers.
> Is there a similar issue with mx BTL? I mean, using the mx BTL, is it possible to reach a parent job from a spawned process?
>
> Thanks again! :-)
>
> El 16 de diciembre de 2011 15:08, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> escribió:
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:
>
> >> As far as I know, there is no support for some MPI-2 features in the shared memory BTL as dynamic process creation or port connection. Are you planning to include this support?
> >
> > It depends on what exactly you mean. Dynamically spawned processes do use the shared memory BTL between themselves, but not with the processes in their parent job. We plan to support that as well at some future time.
>
> ...when enough people ask for it. :-)
>
> We've talked about supporting this for a long time, but to be blunt, there hasn't been enough demand for it to justify spending the time to figure out all the issues and implement it properly. :-(
>
> Patches would be welcome, though! :-)
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]