From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-26 12:42:57

I confess I'm confused. OMPI allows you to "oversubscribe" a node without any modification of job allocations. Just ask it to launch however many processes you want - it will ignore the allocated number of slots and do it.

It will set the sched_yield appropriately to deal with the oversubscription - i.e., each individual process will run a little slower than it would otherwise have done, but play nicer when it comes to "sharing" the available cpus. Likewise, it won't bind your processes to a specific core, which is what you want in this scenario.

So all you have to do is change your mpirun line to have -np N, where N is the actual number of desired processes. Or, if you prefer, you can use

 -npernode M

to tell mpirun to launch M processes on each node. Either will work.