Subject: Re: [OMPI users] wiki and "man mpirun" odds, and a question
From: Paul Kapinos (kapinos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 15:28:56

Hello,

> I don't see what you're referring to. I see:
>
> -----
> • -x <env-variable-name>: The name of an environment variable to export to the parallel application. The -x option can be specified multiple times to export multiple environment variables to the parallel application.
> -----
>
> (ok, I might have just changed it :-) )

nice joke! :o)

> Queuing systems can forward the submitters environment if desired.
> For example, in SGE, the -V switch forwards all the environment
> variables to the job's environment, so if there's one you can use
> to launch your job, you might want to check it's documentation.

This is known and not an option for us. There are too much variables in
the interactive environment which should not be forwarded...

What I asked for is something which could replace

mpiexec -x FOO -x BAR -x FOBA -x BAFO -x RR -x ZZ ..

(which is quite tedious to type and error-prone for the users) by
setting some dreamlike value, e.g.

export OMPI_PROVIDE_THIS_VARIABLES="FOO BAR FOBA BAFO RR ZZ"

At least some envvar, whose content would be simply added to the comand
line, could help:
export OMPI_ADD_2_COMMLINE="-x FOO -x BAR -x FOBA -x BAFO -x RR -x ZZ"

Well, this are my user's dreams; but maybe this give an inspiration for
Open MPI programmers. As said, the situation when a [long] list of
envvars is to be provided is quite common, and typing everything on the
command line is tedious and error-prone.

Best wishes [and sorry for the noise],

Paul Kapinos

--
Dipl.-Inform. Paul Kapinos   -   High Performance Computing,
Seffenter Weg 23,  D 52074  Aachen (Germany)