Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How are the Open MPI processes spawned?
From: Paul Kapinos (kapinos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 15:28:50

Hello Jeff, Ralph, all!

>>> Meaning that per my output from above, what Paul was trying should have worked, no? I.e., setenv'ing OMPI_<whatever>, and those env vars should magically show up in the launched process.
>> In the -launched process- yes. However, his problem was that they do not show up for the -orteds-, and thus the orteds don't wireup correctly.

Sorry for latency, too many issues on too many area needing improvement :-/
Well, just to clarify the long story about what I have seen:

1. got a strange start-up problem (based on bogus configuration of eth0
+ known (for you, experts :o) bug in /1.5.x

2. got a workaround for (1.) by setting '-mca oob_tcp_if_include ib0
-mca btl_tcp_if_include ib0' on the command line of mpiexec => WORKS!
Many thanks guys!

3. remembered that any MCA Parameters can also be defined over
OMP_MCA_... envvars, tried out to set => works NOT, the hang-ups were
again here. Checking how the MCA parameters are set by ompi_info - all
clear, but doesn't work. My blind guess was, mpiexec does not understood
there envvars in this case.
See also

Thus this issue is not about forwarding some or any OMPI_* envvars to
the _processes_, but on someone step _before_ (the processes were not
started correctly at all in my problem case), as Ralph wrote.

The difference in behaviour if setting parameters on command line or
over OMPI_*envvars matters!

Ralph Castain wrote:
>> Did you filed it, or someone else, or should I do it in some way?
> I'll take care of it, and copy you on the ticket so you can see
> what happens. I'll also do the same for the connection bug
> - sorry for the problem :-(

Ralph, many thanks for this!

Best wishes and a nice evening/day/whatever time you have!

Paul Kapinos

Dipl.-Inform. Paul Kapinos   -   High Performance Computing,
Seffenter Weg 23,  D 52074  Aachen (Germany)
Tel: +49 241/80-24915