Subject: Re: [OMPI users] EXTERNAL: Re: How to set up state-less node /tmp for OpenMPI usage
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-03 18:21:42

On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Blosch, Edwin L wrote:

> I might be missing something here. Is there a side-effect or performance loss if you don't use the sm btl? Why would it exist if there is a wholly equivalent alternative? What happens to traffic that is intended for another process on the same node?

There is a definite performance impact, and we wouldn't recommend doing what Eugene suggested if you care about performance.

The correct solution here is get your sys admin to make /tmp local. Making /tmp NFS mounted across multiple nodes is a major "faux pas" in the Linux world - it should never be done, for the reasons stated by Jeff.