Subject: [OMPI users] Error when calling MPI_Init
From: Weston, Stephen (stephen.weston_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-31 11:46:38

Hello,

I'm seeing an error on one of our clusters when executing the
MPI_Init function in a program that is _not_ invoked using the
mpirun command. The error is:

    Error obtaining unique transport key from ORTE
    (orte_precondition_transports not present in the environment).

followed by "It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your
parallel process is likely to abort.", etc. Since mpirun sets
this environment variable, it's not surprising that it isn't
set, but in our other Open MPI installations it doesn't seem
necessary for this environment variable to be set.

I can work around the problem by setting the
"OMPI_MCA_orte_precondition_transports" environment variable
before running the program using the command:

  % eval "export `mpirun env | grep OMPI_MCA_orte_precondition_transports`"

But I'm very curious what is causing this error, since it only
happens on one of our clusters. Could this indicate a problem
with the way we configured Open MPI when we installed it?

Any pointers on how to further investigate this issue would be
appreciated.

- Steve Weston

P.S. I'm using Open MPI 1.4.3 on a Linux cluster using CentOS
release 5.5. It happens in any MPI program that I execute
without mpirun.