Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question on MPI_Ssend
From: devendra rai (rai.devendra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-14 05:28:15

Hello MPI Forum, Jeff Well, the problem is not with incorrect arguments with MPI_Ssend(...) and/or MPI_Recv(...).  I confirmed this. Also, if there were any obvious programming and logical errors, I would never have any successful run. In fact, I am having some  runs which go through successfully. The problem seems to be random, and therefore, I am finding it hard to debug. I am using Open MPI v. 1.4.3, on Linux kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7. I am also using tags, in addition to normal sender node and receiver nodes. I am using integers for tags, and none of the tags are more than 1000. I am also running MPI_Ssends and MPI_Recv within pthreads, and I believe that it should be okay. So, the question is, am I stumbling across a bug, or an incorrect MPI installation? Thanks a lot. Best Devendra ________________________________ From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> To: devendra rai <rai.devendra_at_[hidden]>; Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]> Sent: Tuesday, 13 September 2011, 16:13 Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question on MPI_Ssend On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:41 AM, devendra rai wrote: > Also, I read the definition of MPI_Ssend(...) that you sent, but then it does not explain why both MPI_Ssend(...) and MPI_Recv(...) are blocked seemingly forever. Oh, they're blocked *forever*!  Sorry; I didn't get that from your prior description -- I thought you just wanted non-blocking instead of blocking. > I notice that such a block happens when MPI_Recv(...) is posted before MPI_Ssend(...). It doesn't matter if the receive is posted before the send or the other way around. When blocking sends/receives block forever, it usually means that there's a mismatch in the communicator, tag, or src/dest arguments between the two. -- Jeff Squyres jsquyres_at_[hidden] For corporate legal information go to: http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/