Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Can you set the gid of the processes created by mpirun?
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-08 05:33:20

Am 08.09.2011 um 04:04 schrieb Ed Blosch:

> Typically it is something like 'qsub -W group_list=groupB <other options>
> myjob.sh'. Ultimately myjob.sh runs with gid groupB on some host in the
> cluster. When that script reaches the mpirun command, then mpirun and the
> processes started on the same host all run with gid groupB, but any of the
> spawned processes that start on other hosts run with the user's default
> group, say groupA.
>
> It did occur to me that the launching technique might have some ability to
> influence this behavior as you indicated. I don't know what launcher is
> being used in our cases, I guess it's rsh/ssh.

I can only make a statement for SGE that it would honor the group id for the "built-in method" or "rsh startup method" with SGE's patched rshd, not for ssh.

But you are using Torque I assume, as there is no -W switch in SGE. How did you build Open MPI then? I thought the support for Torque is available by default without any special switch to configure in Open MPI.

So, if the slave tasks are started by the pbs_mom, then it should also get the set group id. As I don't use Torque I can't make any definite statement for it.

Are you resetting inside the job script some variables to let it run outside Torque, i.e. without tight integration?

-- Reuti