Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How to setup and use nodes for OpenMPI on Windows
From: Shiqing Fan (fan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-09 05:50:09

Hi Clinton,

> Just wondering if anyone can point me to the detailed information on
> how to setup multiple nodes and network them together to use OpenMPI.
> Also what is the proper way to specify which nodes to run on. I wish
> to use OpenMPI on the Windows XP or Windows Server 2008 platform, with
> Intel Fortran 11 as the programming language.

If you use Windows XP, you have to specify --host or --hostfile option
in the command line. see mpirun --help for more details. On Windows
server 2008, you can also specify the node names through the Job Monitor
GUI.

> I have searched Google and also looked through the OpenMPI website but
> there does not seem to be any comprehensive documents to run OpenMPI
> on Windows, especially setting up the nodes.

For working on multiple nodes on Windows XP, the only thing you have to
make sure is that the WMI is able to launch process remotely, which
referred to the two MSDN links in the WINDOWS.TXT file. Other then this,
no other special setting is necessary, just install one pre-compiled
installer, it will configure the environment automatically for you.

> Many years ago, I played a bit with Mpich and LAM MPI on a purely
> Linux platform. On Linux clusters, it is easy -- the head node see
> each of the compute nodes. As I remember, the programmer need to only
> write the names of the compute nodes in some sort of config file. The
> job is submitted and based on the compute nodes listed, the mpi will
> run on them.
> On Windows, what kind of networking is needed to tie the nodes
> together? (assuming we are not using any of the MS HPC Pack or Compute
> Cluster). How do we specify which nodes to use? How do we specify any
> security or group permissions for the nodes?
You should have at least TCP connections among the nodes. I don't
understand what security and group permissions stands for here.

Regards,
Shiqing

> ************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
> This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
> information which may be
> confidential.
> If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by
> return email, do not use or
> disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from
> your system. Unless
> specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice
> or commitment by the sender
> or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its
> subsidiaries.
> We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
> If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from
> us, please reply to this
> e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.

Shiqing Fan
High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Tel: ++49(0)711-685-87234      Nobelstrasse 19
Fax: ++49(0)711-685-65832      70569 Stuttgart
http://www.hlrs.de/organization/people/shiqing-fan/
email: fan_at_[hidden]