Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI with NAG compiler and gcc 4.6
From: Ning Li (ning.li_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-11 04:17:15

Hi Jeff,

I am willing to help test OpenMPI with the NAG compiler from time to time but not sure how. If you could give me specific instructions I am very happy to help.

As for this technical issue, I did some research online. It appears that a later version of Libtool (probably 2.2.10+) added support to NAG Fortran compiler. There are discussions at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2010-09/msg00002.html

The relevant section of code (which I found from Libtool 2.4) looks like:

       nagfor*)
        # NAG Fortran compiler
        _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_wl, $1)='-Wl,-Wl,,'
        _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-PIC'
        _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_static, $1)='-Bstatic'
        ;;

The basic idea here is that nagfor calls gcc (not ld directly) for linking so there are two stages of parameter passing, so the rather strange looking '-Wl,-Wl,,' flag.

I can see that in OpenMPI 1.5.3 source, the $OPENMPI_DIR/config/libtool.m4 file does not contain the above code. I have not nuch experience using Libtool so I don't know how to fix this. Simply adding the new code does not seem to work.

Best regards,

Ning

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 20:32:21 -0400
From: Jeff Squyres<jsquyres_at_[hidden]>