Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mpi & mac
From: Constantinos Makassikis (cmakassikis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-06 10:42:24

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Robert Sacker <rsacker_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello !

> I need some help. I'm trying to run C++ code in Xcode on a Mac Pro Desktop
> (OS 10.6) and utilize all 8 cores . My ultimate goal is to be able to run
> the code on the cluster here on campus. I'm in the process of
> converting into C++ the number crunching part of the stuff I previously
> wrote in Matlab.
> Is there some documentation that explains how to get started? Thanks. Bob

I am not sure whether this is the relevant mailing list for
general parallelization questions ...

In any case, before converting your Matlab code to C++ try using
parallelization features that come with Matlab.

Otherwise, after translating your Matlab code to C++, you should
consider in the first place getting acquainted with OpenMP and
use it to speed up your code on your 8-core machine.
OpenMP can be rather straightforward to apply.

Afterwards, if necessary, you may look into parallelizing over multiple
machines with OpenMPI.

Someone advised an interesting link to online courses on parallelism
(OpenMP and OpenMPI) in the following post
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2010/01/11922.php

HTH,

--
Constantinos