Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Deadlock with barrier und RMA
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-13 08:41:48

I think your program has a compile error in the Win_create() line.

But other than that, I think you're missing some calls to MPI_WIN_FENCE. The one-sided stuff in MPI-2 is really, really confusing.

Others on this list disagree with me, but I actively discourage people from using it. Instead, especially if you're just starting with MPI, you might want to use MPI_SEND and MPI_RECV (and friends).

I'd also suggest installing your own version of OMPI; the v1.0 series is several years out of date (either get your admin to install a more recent version, or install a personal copy, as someone outlined earlier in this thread). There have been oodles of bug fixes and new features added since the v1.0 series.

On Jun 11, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Ole Kliemann wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm trying to use MPI on a cluster running OpenMPI 1.2.4 and starting
> processes through PBSPro_11.0.2.110766. I've been running into a couple
> of performance and deadlock problems and like to check whether I'm
> making a mistake.
>
> One of the deadlocks I managed to boil down to the attached example. I
> run it on 8 cores. It usually deadlocks with all except one process
> showing
>
> start barrier
>
> as last output.
>
> The one process out of order shows:
>
> start getting local
>
> My question at this point is simply whether this is expected behaviour
> of OpenMPI.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Ole

For corporate legal information go to: