Subject: Re: [OMPI users] TotalView Memory debugging and OpenMPI
From: Peter Thompson (peter.thompson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-16 15:02:53

Hmmm? We're not removing the putenv() calls. Just adding a strdup()
beforehand, and then calling putenv() with the string duplicated from
env[j]. Of course, if the strdup fails, then we bail out.

As for why it's suddenly a problem, I'm not quite as certain. The
problem we do show is a double free, so someone has already freed that
memory used by putenv(), and I do know that while that used to be just
flagged as an event before, now we seem to be unable to continue past
it. Not sure if that is our change or a library/system change.

PeterT

Ralph Castain wrote:
> On May 16, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Peter Thompson wrote:
>

>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> We've had a number of user complaints about this. Since it seems on the face of it that it is a debugger issue, it may have not made it's way back here. Is your objection that the patch basically aborts if it gets a bad value? I could understand that being a concern. Of course, it aborts on TotalView now if we attempt to move forward without this patch.
>>

> No - my concern is that you appear to be removing the "putenv" calls. OMPI places some values into the local environment so the user can control behavior. Removing those causes problems.
>
> What I need to know is why, after it has worked with TV for years, these putenv's are suddenly a problem. Is the problem occurring during shutdown? Or is this something that causes TV to break?
>

>> I've passed your comment back to the engineer, with a suspicion about the concerns about the abort, but if you have other objections, let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> PeterT
>>

>> Ralph Castain wrote:
>>
>>> That would be a problem, I fear. We need to push those envars into the environment.
>>>
>>> Is there some particular problem causing what you see? We have no other reports of this issue, and orterun has had that code forever.
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPad

 patches, but I'm sure you'd tell me where to put it if I'm in the wrong here. It's a short patch, so I'll cut and paste it, and attach as well, since cut and paste can do weird things to formatting.