Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OMPI vs. network socket communcation
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-02 11:58:33

On 05/02/2011 11:30 AM, Jack Bryan wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> MPI is for academic purpose. How about business applications ?

There are quite a bit of non-academic MPI applications. For example
there are quite a bit of simulation codes from different vendors that
support MPI (Nastran is one common one).
> What kinds of parallel/distributed computing environment do the
> financial institutions
> use for their high frequency trading ?
I personally know of a private trading shop that uses MPI, but that's as
much as I can say. I am not sure how common it is, however the direct
communications to the trading servers is still via sockets or something
similar as opposed to MPI.

--td

> Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 08:34:33 -0400
> From: terry.dontje_at_[hidden]
> To: users_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OMPI vs. network socket communcation
>
> On 04/30/2011 08:52 PM, Jack Bryan wrote:
>
> Hi, All:
>
> What is the relationship between MPI communication and socket
> communication ?
>
> MPI may use socket communications to do communications between two
> processes. Aside from that they are used for different purposes.
>
> Is the network socket programming better than MPI ?
>
> Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are writing a parallel
> program that may run in multiple environments with different types of
> performing protocols available for its use then MPI is probably
> better. If you are looking to do simple client/server type
> programming then socket program might have an advantage.
>

> I am a newbie of network socket programming.
>
> I do not know which one is better for parallel/distributed
> computing ?
>
> IMO MPI.
>

> I know that network socket is unix-based file communication
> between server and client.
>
> If they can also be used for parallel computing, how MPI can work
> better than them ?
>
> There is a lot of stuff that MPI does behind the curtain to make a
> parallel applications life a lot easier. As far as performance MPI
> will not perform better than sockets if it is using sockets as the
> underlying model. However, the performance difference should be
> negligible which makes all the other stuff MPI does for you a big win.
>

> I know MPI is for homogeneous cluster system and network socket is
> based on internet TCP/IP.
>
> What do you mean by homogeneous cluster? There are some MPIs that can
> work among different platforms and even different OSes (though some
> initial setup may be necessary).
>
> Hope this helps,
>

> --
> Oracle
> Terry D. Dontje | Principal Software Engineer
> Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
> Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
> 95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
> Email terry.dontje_at_[hidden] <mailto:terry.dontje_at_[hidden]>

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture
picture