Subject: [OMPI users] OMPI vs. network socket communcation
From: Jack Bryan (dtustudy68_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-30 20:52:34

Hi, All:
What is the relationship between MPI communication and socket communication ?
Is the network socket programming better than MPI ?
I am a newbie of network socket programming.
I do not know which one is better for parallel/distributed computing ?
I know that network socket is unix-based file communication between server and client.
If they can also be used for parallel computing, how MPI can work better than them ?
I know MPI is for homogeneous cluster system and network socket is based on internet TCP/IP.
Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks