Subject: Re: [OMPI users] intel compiler linking issue and issue of environment variable on remote node, with open mpi 1.4.3
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-22 15:56:49

On Apr 22, 2011, at 1:42 PM, yanyg_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Open MPI 1.4.3 + Intel Compilers V8.1 summary:
> (in case someone likes to refer to it later)
>
> (1) To make all Open MPI executables statically linked and
> independent of any dynamic libraries,
> "--disable-shared" and "--enable-static" options should BOTH be
> fowarded to configure, and "-i-static"
> option should be specified for intel compilers too.
>
> (2) It is confirmed that environment variables could be forwarded to
> slave nodes, such as $PATH
> and $LD_LIBARY_PATH, by specifying options to mpirun.
> However, mpirun will invoke orted daemon on
> master and slave nodes.

This is not correct - mpirun will not invoke an orted daemon on the master node. mpirun itself acts as the local daemon.

> These environment variables passed to
> slave nodes via mpirun options does not
> take into effect before orted started.

This is not entirely correct. It depends on the launcher. For rsh/ssh launchers, we do indeed set the environmental variables prior to executing the orted daemon. Some launch environments do not support that functionality.