Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Need help buiding OpenMPI with Intel v12.0 compilers on Linux
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-20 11:14:15

Ormiston, Scott J. wrote:
> At Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:30:41 -0400, Gus Correa wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that the Intel compiler environment is not set?
>>
>> Just in case, did you source the right Intel scripts to setup
>> the icc, icpc, and ifort environment?
>> Something like this (for a 64-bit machine):
>>
>> source /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.107/bin/compilervars.csh intel64
>>
>> and perhaps a similar command for icc/icpc.
>> Check the compiler documentation for details.
>
> I did source that same startup file.
>
>> I only have ifort 12.0 in one of our machines here, no icc or icpc.
>> However, the OS is CentOS 5.4 64-bit,
>> and I compiled OpenMPI 1.4.3 there with gcc, g++ and ifort
>> without any problem.
>> I would guess you can do it with icc, icpc and ifort too.
>>
>> Another possibility is some name mangling issue.
>> Maybe the leading double underscore on the C symbols?
>
> I the OS is Centos 5 (not sure which version), 64bit, and OpenMPI 1.4.3.
>
> I originally thought the configure was fine, but now tht I check through
> the config.log, I see that it had errors:
>
> conftest.c(49): error #2379: cannot open source file "ac_nonexistent.h"
> #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
>
> conftest.c(58): catastrophic error: $error directive: Normal Unix
> environment
> #error Normal Unix environment
>
> conftest.c (102): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( long long )))
> ^
> conftest.c (103): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( long double )))
> ^
>
> conftest.c (104): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( int8_t )))
> ^
>
> conftest.c (105): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( uint8_t )))
> ^
> conftest.c (106): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( int16_t )))
> ^
> conftest.c (107): error :expected and expression
> if (sizeof (( uint16_t )))
> ^
> and so on. Other errors occurred in
> conftest.cpp
> conftest.f
>

> conftest.F
> conftest.f90
>
> Does anyone know what I am missing here?
>
> Thanks.
> Scott Ormiston

Hi Scott

I would guess ac_nonexistent.h is supposed to be what the name says,
a non-existent file.
A little googling around gave me this wisdom! :)
In any case, I have the same message on my config.log,
but no harm was caused, and OpenMPI built correctly.

However, as for the 'catastrophic error', I don't have it here.

Would you perhaps be missing some RPMs on your system e.g.
autoconf,automake,libtool, or gmake, or some 'devel' or 'compat' RPMs
for gcc and friends?
Anyway, this is just a wild guess.
For one thing, on some computers here we always have to install
some of these 'devel' and 'compat' packages
to build the Intel compiler right.
The standard CentOS (and Fedora, and RHEL)
installation skips quite a bit of the code development tools.
See the compiler release notes and other documentation for details.

I think it may be time for the OpenMPI developers
to take over this thread and give you a hand.

My two meager and useless cents,
Gus Correa