Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI 1.4.2 Hangs When Using More Than 1 Proc
From: Stergiou, Jonathan C CIV NSWCCD West Bethesda, 6640 (jonathan.stergiou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-13 08:53:49

All,

It looks like the issue is solved. Our sysadmin had been working on the issue too - he noticed a lot of "junk" in my /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ directory. After "cleaning" it out (I think he ended up wiping everything out, then rebooting the machine, then re-configuring specific items as needed), my OpenMPI installation is working fine.

I can now run "mpirun -np # hello_c" where # is any integer. The same holds true for our specialized applications (Gemini, Salinas, etc).

Apologies - I don't know why "cleaning" this directory fixed things. I'm also not sure why OpenMPI stopped working in the first place. The timing seems to coincide with two updates to my machine; the kernel, and subsequently the Nvidia driver, were both updated right before "mpirun" stopped working correctly.

The sysadmin mentioned it could be related to ldconfig. Again, I don't know why this would cause "mpirun" to misbehave. However, everything appears to work correctly now.

Thank you for your help, and hopefully this thread proves useful to someone in the future.

--
Jon Stergiou
Engineer