Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Configure fail: OpenMPI/1.5.3 with Support for LSF using Sun Studio compilers
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-07 08:59:29

On 04/07/2011 08:36 AM, Paul Kapinos wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>

>>> so, the attached ceil.c example file *can* be compiled by "CC" (the
>>> Studio C++ compiler), but *cannot* be compiled using "cc" (the
>>> Studio C compiler).
>>> $ CC ceil.c
>>> $ cc ceil.c
>>>
>> Did you try to link in the math library -lm? When I did this your
>> test program worked for me and that actually is the first test that
>> the configure does.
>>>
>>> 5. Looking into configure.log and searching on `ceil' results: there
>>> was a check for the availability of `ceil' for the C compiler (see
>>> config.log.ceil). This check says `ceil' is *available* for the "cc"
>>> Compiler, which is *wrong*, cf. (4).
>> See above, it actually is right when you link in the math lib.
>
> Thankt for the tipp! Yes, if using -lm so the Studio C compiler "cc"
> works also fine for ceil.c:
>
> $ cc ceil.c -lm
>

>>> So, is there an error in the configure stage? Or either the checks
>>> in config.log.ceil does not rely on the avilability of the `ceil'
>>> funcion in the C compiler?
>> It looks to me like the lbat configure test is not linking in the
>> math lib.
>
> Yes, the is no -lm in configure:84213 line.
>
> Note the cheks for ceil again, config.log.ceil. As far as I unterstood
> these logs, the checks for ceil and for the need of -lm deliver wrong
> results:
>

> configure:55000: checking if we need -lm for ceil
> configure:55104: result: no
>
> configure:55115: checking for ceil
> configure:55115: result: yes
>

> So, configure assumes "ceil" is available for the "cc" compiler
> without the need for -lm flag - and this is *wrong*, "cc" need -lm.

Interesting. I've looked at some of my x86, Studio, linux builds of
OMPI 1.5 branch and I see the correct configure results for ceil that
correctly identify the need for -lm. Your's definitely does not come up
with the right answer. Are you using the "official" ompi 1.5.3 tarball?
> It seem for me to be an configure issue.

Certainly does.

--
Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631

picture