Subject: Re: [OMPI users] question about running openmpi with different interconnects
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-04 13:47:39

On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Borenstein, Bernard S wrote:

> We have added clusters with different interconnects and decided to build one OPENMPI 1.4.3 version to handle all the possible interconnects
> and run everywhere. I have two questions about this :
>
> 1 – is there a way for Openmpi to print out the interconnect it selected to use at run time? I am asking for an option similar to the –prot argument in hpmpi/platform mpi to print the interconnect selected. If this is not implemented, I would like to suggest it as an enhancement.

Unfortunately, it is not implemented. There's a long-standing ticket requesting this feature -- it's unfortunately not a simple task, since Open MPI opens connections lazily.

> 2 – I have built Openmpi to allow tcp, mx, gm and ib. When running on a tcp only cluster and specifying –mca btl tcp,sm,self, I get errors like this
> [erb426:08967] Error in mx_init (error No MX device entry in /dev.)

Try also specifying:

   mpirun --mca pml ob1 ...

See the README for details of the "ob1" vs. "cm" PMLs.

For corporate legal information go to: