Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openmpi/pbsdsh/Torque problem
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-04 10:42:15

On Apr 4, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Laurence Marks wrote:

> Thanks, I think we may have a mistaken communication here; I assume
> that the computer where they have disabled rsh and ssh they have
> "something" to communicate with so we don't need to use pbsdsh.

Clarification in terminology:

- rsh/ssh/pbsdsh are used to launch processes, usually on remote nodes.
- communication is done via network mechanisms, such as TCP sockets.
- To be clear: Open MPI doesn't use rsh/ssh/pbsdsh stdin/stdout/stderr channels to communicate.
- To be totally clear: Open MPI usually closes rsh/ssh/pbsdsh sessions once the remote processes are running and established, and relies on TCP sockets (and other things) for communicating between these now-launched processes.

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: