Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Mac OS X Static PGI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-11 15:43:26

David --

If you can come up with a configure-esque test for detecting that we're on a system that has this bad condition, we can add an #if around the #include.

For example, if you can write a short test that verifies that <net/if.h> is there, but it doesn't work, and further, if we're using the broken version of PGI on Mac OS X, then we can AC_DEFINE something to skip including that file in opal/util/if.h.

On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:

> Really appreciate you having looked into this!
>
> Unfortunately, I can't see a way to resolve this for the general public. It looks more to me like a PGI bug, frankly - not supporting code in a system-level include makes no sense to me. But I confess this seems to be PGI's mode of operation as I've seen similar issues with their compilers under other OS's as well.
>
> We obviously cannot replace Mac's if.h with the PGI-custom version, nor can we distribute the PGI-custom version for use in that situation. So until/unless PGI fixes their problem, I think this has to be a one-off solution.
>
> Again, thanks for looking into it. Glad that it works for you!
> Ralph
>

> On Mar 3, 2011, at 1:28 PM, David Robertson wrote:
>
>> UPDATE:
>>
>> Sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure PGI was ok with me sharing their workaround.
>>
>> Further conversation with PGI tech support has yielded a solution. The opal/util/if.c file has the following around line 63:
>>
>> #include <net/if.h>
>>
>> Here is the explanation I have from PGI:
>>
>> <<<<< Start Quote
>> For 64-bit only there might be an issue of 'not running/crashing'
>> when it tries to establish the connection.
>>
>> The reason is probably because a source file includes <net/if.h>.
>> <net/if.h> has some source code that we don't support , namely
>> #pragma pack(4)
>> I think currently ignore it.
>>
>> The file is: opal/util/if.c that includes <net/if.h>.
>> You may succeed by including the attached pgi.h instead of <net/if.h>.
>> End Quote >>>>>
>>
>> I followed this advise along with editing the share/openmpi/mpif*-wrapper-data.txt files to have full paths to the static libraries instead of just -lmpi_f90, -lmpi_f77, -lmpi, etc.
>>
>> Dave
>> users mailing list
>> users_at_[hidden]

For corporate legal information go to: