Subject: [OMPI users] Two Instances of Same Process Rather Than Two Separate Processes
From: Clark Britan (c.britan.j2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-08 04:34:45

I just installed OpenMPI on my Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit computer. I
downloaded the most recent version of OpenMPI and ran the configure and make
commands.

I then tried to run a CFD software called FDS using 2 of the 12 available
processors (single node) as a test. I split my computational domain into two
meshes, as explained in the FDS manual and would like to run each mesh on a
separate core.

When I run the command mpirun -np 2 fds5_mpi_linux_64 room_fire.fds I get
the following error:

Process 0 of 0 is running on comp1
Process 0 of 0 is running on comp1
Mesh 1 is assigned to Process 0
Error: MPI_PROCESS greater than total number of processes

Why are two instances of the same process run instead of two separate
processes? What I expect to see after running the above command is:

Process 0 of 1 is running on comp1
Process 1 of 1 is running on comp1
Mesh 1 is assigned to Process 0
Mesh 2 is assigned to Process 1

Any idea what is going on? Thanks for the help.

Kind Regards,

Clark