Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Beginner's question: why multiple sends or receives don't work?
From: Xianglong Kong (dinosaur8312_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-25 09:58:31

I'm using openmpi 1.4.3. The cluster consist of two desktop with Intel
core 2 duo running on Ubuntu 10.04.

A weird thing that i found is that when I issued the command "env |
grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on the slave node, it showed the mpi lib path.
But when
I issude the command "ssh slave-node env | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on
the master side to check the LD_LIBRARY_PATH of the slave node, it
showed nothing. Also, issuing the command "ssh master-node env | grep
LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on the slave side would return the correct mpi lib
path.

I tried to modify the .bashrc and the /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf file to
configure the LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the slave node, but it seems to work
only locally. How can I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the slave node
side, so that I can get the correct path when I use "ssh slave-node
env | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on the master side?

Kong

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Bill Rankin <Bill.Rankin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Jeff:
>
>> FWIW: I have rarely seen this to be the issue.
>
> Been bitten by similar situations before.  But it may not have been OpenMPI.  In any case it was a while back.
>
>> In short, programs are erroneous that do not guarantee that all their
>> outstanding requests have completed before calling finalize.
>
> Agreed 100%.  The barrier won't prevent the case of unmatched sends/receives or outstanding request handles, but if the logic is correct it does make sure that everyone completes before anyone leaves.
>
> In any case, I also tried code #2 and it completed w/o issue on our cluster.  I guess the next thing to ask Kong is regarding what version he is running and what is the platform.
>
> -b

Xianglong Kong
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Rochester